I barely ever played as a kid. Fully intended to, but it was difficult to wrangle people and the game was borderline abusive in some ways (so many one-off tables in 2.5e). I would read the rulebooks, but generally that was as far as it went.
On a whim I looked into the latest edition and slipped into writing an elaborate tool so I could play it over text chat on Discord through org-mode in Emacs (because of course I did) and running a weekly game.
I’ve since moved on from 5e, somewhat disenchanted.
- Intrigued by Tiny Dungeon
- Blades in the Dark has changed the way I see all RPGs
- Loved the stripped down feel of Five Torches Deep
- Index Card RPG (ICRPG) is no mere honorable mention; it might be the sweet spot for all RPGs
- Old School Essentials (OSE) is where I’ve landed and I’m very happy